Wednesday, August 25, 2010

88 was a good year: Big!




1988 was indeed a good year for me. I was about 6 years old, my mom, older sister and I had just moved to california, my niece Karina was born (which meant i sort of got a younger sibling) and the movie Big with Tom Hanks was out. I was absorbing american pop culture and adjusting to all the new turns our little family was taking along with being shoved every movie I had missed while living in Baja right in my round little face. Mary Poppins, Airplane, E.T., Poltergeist, Raiders of the Lost Ark and such turned my sad little doe eyes bright with delight! Anyhow, enter the movie Big with Tom Hanks, introduced to me by my cousin Belinda who just knew that I would really like it being a much more mature little kid. She was right, even at that tender little age, I acknowledged the great acting skills, the magic, the story...the big apartment, no homework, pizza at all hours of the day, the trampoline! It instantly became one of my all time favorites. When finding a VHS copy for a buck recently, I was instantly smitten all over again with one of my all time favorite childhood movies. Back then 30 seemed so old but with 30 being just a few years away, it's safe to say that I'm permanently Big.

No comments:

Post a Comment